Here's the exciting thing I may have mentioned I was getting ready to show you!
Last week, some friends and I decided to participate in a playwriting exercise known as a "Bake-Off." Essentially, everyone participating has to write a script that incorporates a few predetermined Rules, Conditions, Elements, Ideas etc. You give yourselves a strict deadline and hop to it. We decided it best not to discuss what the others were writing while the thing was happening. Our deadline was set for last Monday, and I still haven't gotten one of the scripts SEAN MICHAEL CUMMINGS.
I guess, in the interest of full disclosure/being informative, I'll share our list of requirements with you.
Firstly, the script must begin and end with found text. Found text can be anything that has words on it: Books, pamphlets, cereal boxes, whatever! The only stipulation we added was that the text couldn't come from the internet. Boo, technology!
Our second requirement was Bread.
Thirdly, The Ending of Something must be incorporated.
Penultimately, Stage Combat must play some part.
And Lastish, One Role Must Be Played by Something it's Not. This could be, to steal Sean's examples to me, a Bengal Tiger in the Baghdad Zoo, A Man in Drag, Blackface. Something cast in a role it would normally not be found in.
All of these rules beyond what's written are totally up to interpretation. For instance, look at Bread. How easy. You just put someone making sandwiches in the play, right? But wait! Someone could be named Bread! What? Also, you could choose to explore the basic idea of what bread means. Nourishment? Feeding the Hungry?
Two of us made sandwiches.
So, in no particular order, the results are as such:
Oh! And as a warning, pretty much all of these have bad words. And some are violent. One of them is not.
Your Piranhas is Showing By Nick Holland
Wasteland By Kiernan Angley
Deep is Your Love By Jeff and Amy Garland
Taste Like Pennies By Roger Miller (That's Me!)
Like I said, I'm still waiting on Sean's. Maybe it will come one day, carried to me by a beautiful mail owl. But then maybe we'll just all forget about it and I'll passively remind him about it in conversation until it drives a stake through our friendship until it dies like so many vampires. Ok, whatever.
Enjoy! If you have any questions, comments, concerns, favorite recipies, share them with us! We love feedback except for Nick, who hates what other people think.
Want to try your own? Write a script, using our guidelines! Or make up your own! Who cares?! Send it to me, and maybe I'll even put it up here. Unless you owe me money.
Oh! One more thing- you can find all of these plays in the "ETC" sidebar to my left, your right.
No comments:
Post a Comment